A Hidden Paradise on the "Nautical Mile" in St. Clair Shores, MI, we are located just north of Nine Mile Road, east of Jefferson Avenue on beautiful Lake St. Clair.
• A HIDDEN PARADISE…
A Hidden Paradise on the “Nautical Mile” in St. Clair Shores, MI, we are located just north of Nine Mile Road, east of Jefferson Avenue on beautiful Lake St. Clair.
• THE CLUB
Great Lakes Yacht Club has a well-earned and deserved reputation among racing and cruising yachts people as being a competent, interested, and progressive organization with the best of facilities and location setting anywhere in Michigan.
The Great Lakes Yacht Club had its beginning in 1952 as “The Island Boat Club” close to the Waterworks Park on the Detroit River. The club was formed by necessity by a few Jewish “would be sailors” who could not obtain memberships in other established yacht clubs.
In 1954, we relocated to leased property at our current location, and renamed “Great Lakes Yacht Club.”
From 1954 to 1959 the clubhouse and swimming pool were added.
In 1962, the yacht club was granted membership in the Detroit River Yachting Association (DRYA). At that time, we were assigned to host the first yachting regatta of the season “The Early Bird Regatta,” and have done so ever since.
In 1963 we acquired the title to our present location. The addition of a hoist and gin poles enable us to provide on-site winter storage.
The club established a Junior Sailing Program that was emulated by other clubs in the DRYA.
In 1986, we established a doubled-handed yacht race around Lake St. Clair.
In 2000, a complete renovation of the dockside services including water, electrical, dockside lighting and concrete walkway were finished.
Also in 2000, GLYC added sponsorship of the “Volvo Leukemia Cup” to its “Early Bird Regatta.”
GLYC continues the sponsorship of the Fall Series in addition to the DRYA Early Bird Regatta.
The Jefferson Yacht Club was founded in 1957 by a group of boaters with a goal to encourage camaraderie amongst boaters and non-boaters alike along with their friends and families, in an enjoyable setting.
In 1962 this group embarked on a mission to build a clubhouse for their group. To this day the clubhouse location remains the same nestled in the heart of the Nautical Mile in St. Clair Shores Michigan. Over the years several improvements have been made to the clubhouse. The JYC offers its members many amenities including a pavilion, swimming pool, and outdoor tiki bar in the summer. The clubhouse is open year round and dining is offered seven days a week.
The Jefferson Yacht Club is listed in the Register of American Yacht Clubs. As member of Yachting Clubs of America and the ABYA the Jefferson Yacht Club provides reciprocal privileges for its members at several yacht clubs around the United States.