Great Lakes Yacht Club
A Hidden Paradise on the "Nautical Mile" in St. Clair Shores, MI, we are located just north of Nine Mile Road, east of Jefferson Avenue on beautiful Lake St. Clair.
• A HIDDEN PARADISE…
A Hidden Paradise on the “Nautical Mile” in St. Clair Shores, MI, we are located just north of Nine Mile Road, east of Jefferson Avenue on beautiful Lake St. Clair.
• THE CLUB
Great Lakes Yacht Club has a well-earned and deserved reputation among racing and cruising yachts people as being a competent, interested, and progressive organization with the best of facilities and location setting anywhere in Michigan.
The Great Lakes Yacht Club had its beginning in 1952 as “The Island Boat Club” close to the Waterworks Park on the Detroit River. The club was formed by necessity by a few Jewish “would be sailors” who could not obtain memberships in other established yacht clubs.
In 1954, we relocated to leased property at our current location, and renamed “Great Lakes Yacht Club.”
From 1954 to 1959 the clubhouse and swimming pool were added.
In 1962, the yacht club was granted membership in the Detroit River Yachting Association (DRYA). At that time, we were assigned to host the first yachting regatta of the season “The Early Bird Regatta,” and have done so ever since.
In 1963 we acquired the title to our present location. The addition of a hoist and gin poles enable us to provide on-site winter storage.
The club established a Junior Sailing Program that was emulated by other clubs in the DRYA.
In 1986, we established a doubled-handed yacht race around Lake St. Clair.
In 2000, a complete renovation of the dockside services including water, electrical, dockside lighting and concrete walkway were finished.
Also in 2000, GLYC added sponsorship of the “Volvo Leukemia Cup” to its “Early Bird Regatta.”
GLYC continues the sponsorship of the Fall Series in addition to the DRYA Early Bird Regatta.